For configuring BuddyPress navigate through
Dashboard >> Settings >> BuddyPress.
You will find three options here, they are as follow:
- Components – Allows you to enable/disable components you want to include.
- Options – Includes different setting options related to BuddyPress such as profile, group and activity settings.
- Pages – Allows you to map BuddyPress pages accordingly.
Let’s discuss these three options in details.
You will find the following options inside it:
- Extended Profiles – Allows you to Configure and customize your community with fully editable profile fields.
- Account Settings – Allow your users to modify their account as per their choice.
- Friend Connections – Allow your members to create friends and expand their circle.
- Private Messaging – Allow your members to share private messages.
- Activity Streams – Global, personal, and group activity streams with threaded commenting, direct posting, favouriting, and @mentions, all with a full RSS feed and email notification support.
- Notifications – Allows your member to receive notification of the activities related to them happening throughout the site depending on the customization of their notification settings.
- User Groups – Allows your users to organize themselves into specific public, private or hidden sections with separate activity streams and member listings in your community.
- Site Tracking – Track and record activity for new posts and comments from your site.
- BuddyPress Core – This is a must-use option and you can not deselect it. It‘s what makes BuddyPress possible.
- Community Members – This one is also a must-use option and you can’t deselect it, everything in a BuddyPress community revolves around its members.
You will find four setting options inside it, here will discuss each one by one briefly:
- Toolbar – Allows showing the Toolbar for logged out users.
- Account Deletion – Selecting this option allows registered members to delete their own accounts.
- Template Pack – Allows you to select BuddyPress template pack.
- Profile Photo Uploads – Selecting this option allows members to upload avatars.
- Cover Image Uploads – Selecting this option allows registered members to upload cover images for their profile.
- Profile Syncing – Enable syncing of BuddyPress to WordPress profile.
- Group Creation – Selecting this option allows group creation for all users.
Admin can always create groups, no matter what the setting is.
- Group Photo Uploads – Allows setting customizable avatars for groups.
- Group Cover Image Uploads – Allows setting customizable cover images for groups.
- Post Comments – Allows activity stream commenting on posts and comments.
- Activity auto-refresh – It automatically checks for new items while viewing the activity stream.
As all is done let’s proceed towards creating and mapping pages.
Create two pages register and activate by navigating through
Dashboard >> Pages >> Add New >> Register/Activate.
You will notice BuddyPress already made two pages activity and members.
You now just have to map these page here in BuddyPress settings.
- Members: Select members page for member listing.
- Activity Streams: Select the activity page for site-wide activity.
- User Groups: Select groups for group listing.
- Register: Select registration page and allow your members to register to the site.
- Activate: Select activation page.
Now save the settings by clicking the save button.